Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy 4th of July to ME!...and Reba!

Let me tell you, Chile knows how to celebrate Independence Day! It might have been the best celebration I've ever had on the 4th, except for the one summer my family and another family sat on a golf course watching fireworks while my dad told jokes that nobody understood.

The day started with me attending about 20 minutes of Sunday School and then racing to the metro. Yep, I skipped church to party...hard. I met up with Mark and Sarah and finally got to see their apartment. After using Sarah's hair straightener (This was the first highlight of my day. It's the first time I've straightened it all summer!), Raquel and her son Esteban picked us up, and we headed to the U.S. Embassy, otherwise known as heaven. We showed our passports and crossed through the pearly gates. Who knew Peter spoke Spanish? For those of you wondering, this is what heaven looks like: When you walk in, you receive a coupon that says "Good for one slice of pizza or McNuggets." Obvious choice = pizza. Then you see a drink station that has various free drinks including WATER BOTTLES. Quote from the lady working, "I've never seen somebody so excited about water bottles." My response, "I don't drink soda, and in Chile, that means I've been thirsty for a month." We waited in line for our Papa John's pizza, a line that was full of conversations in which I could understand without focusing all my attention to every word. Sweet relief.

We ate our pizza and then made our way to the American flag cake that was also quite tasty. The embassy is absolutely beautiful. Rows of flower gardens and trees line the entryway to a sparkling building. We ate while enjoying the beautiful scenery. What scenery? Nope, not the gardens. The red white and blue feather boas, American flag heart shaped earrings, fringe leather jackets, bandanas, red white and blue floppy top hats, flag shirts and military uniforms. Now if I had been at home, I might have (would have) made plenty of sarcastic remarks about this type of dress, but here, it was the trendiest of style. The ceremony began at 1 p.m. (and it actually started at 1 p.m.) with the raising of the flag and Star Spangled Banner. A band played familiar songs, a woman sang (higher than I've ever heard a woman sing), speeches were given and appreciation flourished. Who knew there were so many Americans in Santiago? Even though Raquel and Esteban are "Americans by passport only," I think they enjoyed the event as well. After I grabbed a water bottle to go, we headed back to Raquel's apartment where another feast took place.

Waiting in line!


Free Pizza!!!!!!


The Embassy!


Pizza and Water Bottle!


Raquel and Esteban enjoying Papa Johns almost as much as we were!


Group shot (minus Esteban) during the celebration.


A speech. This was his last day to work at the embassy. Raquel thought it was a shame he is leaving because he is very handsome.


Esteban mocking the Americans taking pictures and videos of the flag raising.


Beautiful


I inconspicuously took pictures of the attire. Fringe jacket.


Heart shaped flag earring.


Flag shirt.


Justin Timberlake/Ryan Phillippe joined in with a flag top hat as well!


Heaven continues. Raquel cooked chicken potpie, coleslaw and BANANA PUDDING! And I ate everything, besides the banana pudding, with my beloved ketchup. And the dishes were served on hot plates with pictures of the Texas flag and bluebonnets on them! We were laughing and joking the entire time. It was an afternoon of pure joy and rejuvenation. Thanks Raquel!

Banana pudding at Raquel's house!


Raquel left to take her sister to the airport, so Mark, Sarah and I boarded the metro to our final party of the day. Patricia Price had invited me to attend the 4th of July celebration of all of the missionaries in their organization. It took place at my church and included about 40 American missionaries that are currently living in Santiago. Pulled pork sandwiches were served with vegetables and chips. Sadly, I was stuffed, so I had to pass on the b.b.q. sandwiches. And if you know me well, that means I was really really full. I opted for carrots and chocolate cake instead! And ICE! There was ice to accompany the drinks! Everybody was so friendly in their southern accents. Southern accents....yes please! Also in attendance was a sweatshirt with an eagle painted on it. High fashion once again!

I parted ways with Sarah and Mark and headed home. So, now you're thinking that the celebrations are over? So was I. WRONG! The best part was still to come. My dad knows me too well. He called me on Skype and I got to watch REBA MCENTIRE perform at the Washington Monument!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you technology! I watched incredible fireworks while singing along to Fancy, America the Beautiful and God Bless America. The actual thought running through my head was the following: "God bless America for producing this beautiful redhead singing before me." True story, that's what I was thinking.



All in all, very successful day. I woke up the next morning feeling rejuvenated and ready to return to my exciting Chilean life. I'm really enjoying life in Chile, but it was so nice to feel the comforts of home for at least one day!

In other news, Mark and Sarah left Tuesday night to return to Georgia. I will miss them! Thanks for the fun times we've had in Chile. I've loved having y'all here! Here is a picture from their going away party. They are eating one of those giant sandwiches!



In other other news, today I shaved my legs for the first time since I've been in Chile. Let's just say that during the process I ran out of hot water, killed my razor and left the shower with semi-smooth legs.

Mom and dad and Harry and his friends arrive on Friday! Let the good times continue!


EXTRA PICTURES!

Last Monday was a national Catholic holiday. Chile celebrates all of the Saints Days with days off from work or school. (I'm going to try to get this implemented at Truett this fall.) Our family went for a walk in the park and stopped to paddle boat. I'm wearing a sweatshirt, a fleece and my jacket. I look 400 pounds.


View of the lake in the park.


Random ponies in the park with kids playing soccer in the background.


Matias and Susan took me on a tour of downtown. We ate traditional Chilean food. I had Pastel de Choclo (a corn pudding type dish) and they had this giant sandwich!


A few of the ladies from the English class. The rest of the class skipped the test this day. Donna, the teacher, is in the middle.


Today, I ate lunch with Matias and Susan. For dessert, we had ice cream. I'm not sure if you can see or translate the flavor on the carton, so I'll do it for you. RUM AND RAISINS. Can't say it was my favorite, can't say I hated it, CAN say it tasted exactly like it sounds.

3 comments:

  1. The best 4th of July celebrations I've had have occurred in other countries. It's just more fun to wear an American flag themed outfit outside the borders of our fair land. Loved all your pics. Miss you! Thanks for being such an avid blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the best post ever. wish i could've experienced it with you. praise god for reba and ice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous I love it. I've caught on to your blog a little late but it cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete