Friday, June 25, 2010

Chile vs. Spain

Chile vs. Spain...mostly in pictures! This game was torture for me because I love Spain, but didn't want to die while in Chile for rooting for another team. I went back and forth between which team to cheer for. In the end, I decided to root for Chile for selfish reasons, because game days are AAAWESOME! The world stops for 90 minutes here in Santiago. The morning was filled with honking, singing, chanting, flag waving and horn blowing. Yes, we have vuvuzelas here, too. Face paint could be found on infants and grandmas alike. The bus ride included a group of teenagers flying the flag out the bus window while cheering, chanting and dancing as loud as they could. The same scene could be found on every bus and every street around the city. My favorite was seeing the men wearing their red jerseys with their business shirt collar popping out of the top. I watched the game with my new family at the restaurant and tried my best to capture the essence of game day, but I think it's impossible. So here's my attempt...
Ps. Chile lost but still advanced to the second round! AKA there was lots of celebrating ALL night long. Yeah for future game days!

The dogs are ready!


Both in uniform


My Chilean mom (Monica) and a waiter. The whole wait staff and kitchen staff were decked out!


My Chilean grandpa (owner of the restaurant)


New siblings, Fran and Benjamin. They partook in flag waving on the street in front of the restaurant...just like everybody else on the street and in their cars. Notice Benjamin is too concerned with blowing his horn to smile for the picture.


Family pic (minus Edgar, he watched the game from work). It's a given that work and school completely stop during the game. How nice.


The traffic before the game. People rushing to get home in their cars. People running down the street. Once the game started, the streets were creepily empty. People nor cars were nowhere to be seen.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIA ESTER!!!


Celebration in the streets 2 hours after the game ended.

1 comment:

  1. Katelyn! It looks like you're having a great time! I've enjoyed reading your updates so keep them coming. I can't wait for you to get back to Waco...I miss you!

    ReplyDelete