Wednesday, June 16, 2010

¡CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE!
How ignorant was I to be worried that I was going to miss Chile's first World Cup game this morning because it was at 7:30 a.m. I woke around that time to yells coming from the other room and footsteps running down the hallway yelling "¿Que pasó, que pasó?" Cotty, and her nephew who stayed with us last night, were already in full game watching mode. The few moments before I could get my TOMS on (bc you do not leave the room without shoes on!) were filled with "¡Pásala...pásala! and ¡Un foul...un foul!" There are billboards on the side of the road that say "Get your LCD T.V.s before the World Cup," because apparently, the masses actually do go out and buy nicer T.V.s to watch El Mundial! About halfway through, the doctor of a nephew had to go to a seminar and leave the game. You would have thought his life was ending. Cotty brought out tea and food on a T.V. tray and we watched the rest of the game while having breakfast. Chile wins 1-0 over Honduras! CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE!
When I left to catch the bus for church at 10 a.m., the rest of Santiago had the same idea. The elevator was packed, the streets were full of children in uniforms and adults in suits running to their bus stops, the bus picked up twelve people at one stop instead of its normal two, and traffic was awful. Everyone had stayed home from work or school to watch the game and were now scrounging to get there! There were barely any students in the English class this morning and the few that did come were twenty minutes late. I love that the entire country stops what it's doing to watch a soccer game! The schools even allowed the students to watch the game at school. I can only hope that one day America will pick up this idea. It was a FUN morning to experience in Chile. My biggest problem is deciding whom to root for when Chile and Spain play each other next Friday. Suggestions? (Mom, I just used "whom." I hope it meets your grammar expectations.)
In other news, I found another bedroom and bathroom in the apartment last night that I had no clue existed. Make that a 4 bedroom 3 bath. Then, this morning, I found a second balcony. Tomorrow, I expect to find a gym hidden somewhere in the hallway...or maybe an ice cream parlor...or a skating rink.
Today actually brought probably the worst thing that I have faced since being in Chile. About 20 minutes ago, no I was not robbed, I had a plate of tomatoes, and celery and mushrooms set before like it was some kind of salad (3 things I can't stand = tomatoes, celery and mushrooms). There were three pieces of lettuce, so I guess that classifies it as a salad. Out of respect, I hate the entire plate. Scarring.

This is how I spent my morning!

5 comments:

  1. just read all of your blogs, great writing, reminds me of your Mothers from China. Will be reading every day, you are our missionary to Chile..you go girl keep on rebuilding, making friends, and eat more chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my kind of ministry – watching soccer and eating breakfast while the whole country shuts down. Go Chile!!! Now all you need is a vuvuzela!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know how i know we are teammates?
    cuz i hate those three things too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A vuvuzela is a South African horn that makes a loud buzzing sound like a bee. The sound fills the stadium and the television audio. Players have complained that they can't hear each other on the field.

    ReplyDelete