Friday, June 25, 2010

Chile vs. Switzerland

Matias and Susan are a great young couple from the church. Earlier this year they cam back to Chile from being on the mission field. They currently live in the apartment above the church office and he works around the church. She is pregnant and due August 19. On September 19, they will move to Northern Ireland so Matias can attend Seminary. They have both been so welcoming, inviting and helpful to me, and I've really enjoyed getting to know them. Matias has to take the TOEFL again in July and asked me to meet with him 3 times a week to practice his already great English. We work on grammar details and pronunciation. Susan speaks great English (and German) already, but she invited me to the younger women's Bible Study, and it's been fun to be involved with that. Our most recent development was the absolute necessity to elongate the vowels in the words "beach" and "sheet." When pronounced with short vowels, which they usually are, I can't help but laugh every single time.
On Monday, I joined the two of them at Matia's mom's house to watch the World Cup game of Chile vs. Switzerland. On the way to the game Matias honked throughout the streets. Matias, his mom, his sister and her husband, and Susan all sat on one bed while I sat in a comfy chair to cheer on the team. It was SO FUN! Before it started his mom unwrapped a newly purchased Chilean flag to wave. Oh, I forgot about Tom, the weenie dog! At one point in the game Tom accidentally pushed the remote and changed the channel...chaos, but most of the time you could find him in my lap or wrapped in the Chilean flag! Each time Chile scored, the married couples would jump up and down and hug and the mom would come hug me and jump up and down. Ha, I loved it. CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE, VIVA CHILE! They won! You could hear horns and people screaming from the streets and apartment buildings for long after the game ended. Susan and I walked to the store 30 minutes afterward and found flags being waved, painted faces, horns honking, people screaming and of course everyone hurrying to work! Chile vs. Spain, Friday, 2:30!

No comments:

Post a Comment