Friday, June 4, 2010

An Episode of Destinos (Longest post ever)

Well, after a trip to Birmingham, a stop at urgent care, a fantastic wedding, a day of hectic packing, and a second stop at urgent care, I boarded my flight and successfully arrived in Santiago! So far, the best way I can describe it is to say that I feel like I am in an episode of Destinos. Any day now I'm waiting to see Raquel and Arturo pass me on the street in a desperate search for Don Fernando's family secrets. I didn't realize how much pressure comes with writing a blog. Since I'm the funniest person that most of you know, I feel like this blog needs to be hilarious. It's a blessing and a curse. So, if it gets boring, feel free to scroll down to the pics. I won't be offended!

This "misionera" as they call me is living the good life. I am staying in an apartment that is nicer than my home in Waco, maybe Tucson for that matter. It's a 7th story, 2 bedroom 2 bath located in a very nice neighborhood of Santiago called Vitacura. It's decorated like something out of a magazine and has a beautiful view of the Andes Mountains. Santiago is beautiful! The snow-capped Andes lie to the East and are always in the backdrop of the city while trees line every street. It's the end of fall here so the leaves are beginning to drop, but there are still yellow, green, orange and red hues all over the city. I don't know if I've ever actually seen a "fall" in real life! And don't forget the rows of palm trees that line the medians! I think my favorite thing about the city so far is the trees! Did I mention that I see these trees while driving in one of Cotty's two cars...an Audi. Yep, missions has never felt so comfortable.

Cotty (short for Carmen) is a member of the church who has allowed for me to stay with her this summer...well, this winter. The first day she told me her life motto is "I live to serve Jesus, and when I am too old to serve Him, then I told Him that He can take me away." She founded an organization of hermanas that goes around to hospitals all over Chile to help with "spiritual needs." She actually arrived to Santiago after me on Tuesday because she was in the south helping with the earthquake areas. All this to say, I've got a pretty incredible hostess. Her first sentence to me was "Soy tu MAMA por los proximos dos meses." I am your MAMA for the next two months!

The church, Iglesia Bautista Parque Apoquindo, is located in the next municipality, Las Condes, which is also a very nice area. (Often referred to as Sanhattan). It's a cute little church and the people are wonderful. I met with the leadership team and as of now, it looks like I will be leading Children's church twice a month, helping with the youth and college group, teaching English, and whatever else comes up. My mentor Bobby is the interim pastor of the church. He was raised in Santiago by his parents who were American missionaries, and he attended seminary in the states. During the week he is the principal of a prestigious school in the area. I met one of the ladies who teaches the English classes at the church, and come to find out, she went to Baylor! I haven't done too much with the church this week since I've mainly been trying to get acquainted with the city and Chilean life. Work should begin next week. Well, actually tomorrow....hard work!

Earthquake: Tomorrow, Cotty, Maria-Ester and myself will travel 3 hours south (where it is freeeeezing) to help with earthquake affected areas. I'm not sure exactly what we will be doing, but I know it will be cold. I'm super excited to be going and it can't be as cold as China! We return tomorrow night so I'll have so much to post about! One thing I do know is that the Chilean earthquake has not gotten nearly as much attention as should be expected. Southern cities were destroyed and there are hundreds of churches that have to be rebuilt. Even parts of Cotty's house have damage from the "terremoto" which shows how vast the affected area is. I have heard there is A LOT of work to be done!

The Things I've learned:

I will one day produce Chilean twins. I met 3 of Cotty's 7 grandchildren today and there were 2 year-old twin boys. I need a pair.

I feel underdressed in jeans. Everybody in this area dresses so nicely.

Beyonce sings in Spanish. I just heard "Si yo fuera un chico" (If I were a boy).

Gas stations are not self serve. A delightful man in a green and red jumpsuit pumps your gas and changes your oil if need be, and if you're lucky he'll sing to you while doing so. We were lucky.

Stray dogs are all over the place in Chile. Even in the malls, but the humane society will cause a ruckus if someone tries to kick them out. While I was taking pictures of the church, I ran into 3 stray dogs in about 5 minutes. (The weird thing is that they don't look like the stray dogs in the U.S. They aren't mutts. They look like thoroughbreds.)

Dogs not only wear coats, they wear scarves!

Chilean meals: Bread for breakfast, a semi-large lunch, bread for dinner. I'm having pasta withdrawals.

Mayonnaise: Cotty just had me put mayonnaise in my rice. Huh? But if you know me well, I could survive off mayonnaise alone. No problem here!

At the mall I discovered an invention that I will be bringing back to the states. The parking garages have small motion sensor lights above each parking space. So at the end of a row, you can look down and see if all the spots are taken. All red lights means each spot is full, but if you see any green lights then you know that spot is open. I mean, seriously, brilliant.

Stop signs means yield and braking means slamming on the brakes.

It is illegal to honk in Santiago unless it is to warn of an accident. If the police catch you honking for any other reason, you get fined.

Bible studies are conducted in Antarctica. Raquel has visited Antarctica in order to conduct Bible studies on the military bases there. This information blew my mind.

Chileans don't take their shoes off in the house. Oops.


If you're interested in the details of my days, keep reading. If not, then go to the pictures! (I would choose option 2)

Day 1
Bobby picked me up from the airport at 8 a.m. and drove me to my new home where we met Maria-Ester. (She is kind of like the church secretary. Her husband was the pastor in the 90s and then died in a car accident, but she has continued to work had for the church) After showering, Maria- Ester took me to get a cell phone but not without stopping in a cafe for hot tea and a slice of apple pie. Then we went to a restaurant where helps out during the lunch hour and I sat there for 3 hours, but don't worry, I had INTERNET. If I have learned anything thus far, it is that I am addicted to constant communication and cannot function without it. The restaurant owner (a church member) and her father fed me a great meal of chicken and french fries. We were then picked up by Maria Ester's friend. Why? Because while she was showing me around, she sprained her ankle on the metro stairs, and I can't say I didn't feel somewhat responsible. They dropped me off at the church and I finally got to meet Cotty. I met with the church leadership team to discuss some ideas for the summer. Graciously, they tried to speak somewhat slowly, in which case I can understand almost everything, but when they start into rapid Chilean Spanish, I'm lucky to catch a few words. By the end of this day, it's an understatement to say I was exhausted.

Day 2
Wednesday brought a day of much needed rest. Until the prayer service at 8pm, Cotty and I stayed around the house. I read some books and we took a nap cause we were tired from doing nothing all day. We went to the prayer service where they prayed for an hour and a half and the kid next to me feel asleep. Praying might be the most difficult grammatical task to conquer in a different language. The subjunctive is in full swing!


Day 3
Thursday brought the INTERNET. After breakfast with Cotty, I received a life changing call from Verizon and we were able to fix my blackberry, which had not been working since I arrived. Then, Cotty drove me to meet with Raquel (president of Chilean Baptists and vice president of the Baptist World Alliance) and Mark and Sarah (a couple from Macaphee Seminary who are also here this summer). We toured her office building and then she took us to a very nice mall where we had some very nice steak and my first Chilean empanadas! Then, gracias a Dios, she helped me buy an Internet stick that gives me Wifi on my computer everywhere I go! A dream come true for the summer! She drove us downtown and I was able to see the main plaza, which includes the cathedral and the government buildings.

Day 4
Went up to the church this morning, went to the mall again to buy some gloves for tomorrow, took a nap, got the car ready for the drive to Molina tomorrow, and now here I sit writing this blog in the 7th story living room watching a soccer game on the field below with the Andes in the background. Aaahhhhhhhhhhhh. I just looked up from my computer to a man in the window! Good afternoon window washer! Stopped by Cotty's sons house and it's nicer than any apartment I've been in in the U.S. 22nd story, beautifully decorated and a view of the entire city of Santiago. Going to bed early for an early start tomorrow.

Chilean Twins!



Raquel!



Gladys and Fernando. He's my favorite! I'm going to ask him to be my Chilean boyfriend!



The church!



Road in front of the church with the Andes





Cotty y Maria Ester



Brilliant Parking Lights



Apartment Pictures!







My view from the living room!





My quaint little room



5 comments:

  1. I hope you come home with him as your bf...that would be awesome! ps: i just ate a cookie...not bread

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose you have an elevator to floor 7? Looks just like my China apartment! Even the same view! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Katelyn! Loved this. Love you! And who knew that there were Bible studies in Antarctica? Cold people need Jesus, too, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading this!! You crack me up even in writing!! Sounds like you are on an awesome adventure!! Love and Miss you! :)

    ReplyDelete